Compassion fatigue is a growing concern.
Especially for those who care for, and support others. This special type of burnout goes beyond regular overwhelm and can affect health, relationships, and productivity.
Recovering from burnout can feel impossible because typical self-care strategies only serve to "manage" stress rather than recover from it. And so we end up stuck: we want to be effective at work and support others, but we have nothing left in our gas tank. So what do we do?
The reality is, we can't wait until other people stop having needs. We have to learn now how to show up for others without depleting our own resources in the process.
Taking time for self-care can feel like we're neglecting those who depend on us - so many choose not to prioritize it. Also, societally, burnout is a badge of honour indicating the value and depth of our caring and professional commitment.
Taking time for personal recovery is still stigmatized as unprofessional, weak or self-indulgent. Yet, preventing and recovering from burnout is crucial for both leaders and their team members.
This workshop teaches how to move beyond simply surviving. Participants will learn how to not only overcome burnout, but how to prevent it in the future.
- Signs and symptoms that you are experiencing emotional burnout or compassion fatigue
- The difference between practical boundaries and emotional boundaries
- Recognizing your own triggers so you can set emotional boundaries before you snap
- Understanding compassion fatigue and how it’s affecting every area of your life – from work to relationships to physical wellbeing
- Learn about vicarious trauma - a sneaky side effect of being in an empathetic role
- The dangers of long-term caregiving stress – and what you need to do NOW to avoid it
- Knowledge of when to prioritize your needs vs theirs and how to find sustainable balance long term
- Easy-to-implement strategies to repair your own emotional exhaustion
Take-Away Strategies & Tools:
- Unpack your burnout backpack to learn whether you are carrying more than you realized
- Identify exactly how to reduce your load and support others in reducing their load
- Develop a clear understanding of self-care versus survival care
- Learn strategies that you can use right away to practice even the hardest requirements of self-care
- Scripts to help you assert critical boundaries while empowering others to participate in their own healing journeys
- How exactly to repair the physiological effects of chronic stress resulting from taking on other people's worries, and prevent further damage
- This session has been developed for adult audiences
- Standard length is 60-75 minutes and includes skill-development activities, breakout groups, and time for Q&A
- This session is available for virtual or for in-person delivery
- Client will be responsible for speaker travel costs, plus a per diem over and above the speaker fee
- Need additional tailoring of content, or a fully customized session? We're here for you. Book a free needs assessment today so we can uncover exactly what you need and how we can help
Want this talk for your group or conference, and ...
Want to save the speaker fee?
Ask us about including Mental Health First Aid as a pre- and/or post- to your event
We can't wait to work with your group!
get started by scheduling a free needs assessment today