Big emotions are all around us.
Are you exhausted by the big emotions you're seeing in the tweens or teens you work with? Does it feel like no matter what you do, they are easily set off? Is managing your classroom, team, or camp becoming more difficult because of it? You aren't alone.
The adolescent years are defined by big changes – social, personal, behavioural, and mental health-wise.
Add on top of this a global pandemic, and it’s no wonder that both teens and the adults who support them are struggling. Kids (and their grownups) are being asked to carry a lot and don’t have the tools to do so effectively and confidently. And so we’re seeing big feelings & behaviours with no end in sight. This often results in disruption to your work - and to the other kids in your care - as you're pulled away to support them. And it can be hard getting the group back on track afterward - especially now that your own stress levels have increased.
When both you and your young people are on edge, it takes very little to set off a firestorm that can really ruin relationships, cohesiveness, and group dynamics. If you need a roadmap to help them cope (and strategies to help you cope too!), this workshop is for you.
- A clear understanding of how self-regulation impacts behaviour
- Understanding impact of stress on the brain
- Awareness of escalation patterns & how they impact others
- A map of your own escalation patterns
- Strategies to help the kids in your life manage their own big emotions
- The role of social media on dysregulation
Note - this session can also be delivered to youth audiences to help them develop strategies to regulate their own emotions
Take-Away Strategies & Tools:
- Understanding how identify your own behaviour patterns fuel the fire in power struggles
- Your kids’ behaviour patterns, what they’re needing from you. and how to have easier interactions with them
- How stress affects they way you process the world around you
- Steps to support kids through their own big emotions
- This talk has been developed for audiences of adults who work with youth, and can be tailored to youth audiences where skills and strategies will be taught in an age-appropriate way
- Standard length is 60-75 minutes, but this can be extended into a workshop with skill-building activities, breakout groups, and case studies
- This session is available for virtual or for in-person delivery
- Client will be responsible for speaker travel costs, plus a per diem over and above the speaker fee
- Need additional tailoring of content, or a fully customized session? We're here for you. Book a free needs assessment today so we can uncover exactly what you need and how we can help
Want this talk for your group or conference, and ...
Want to save the speaker fee?
Ask us about including Mental Health First Aid as a pre- and/or post- to your event
We can't wait to work with your group!
get started by scheduling a free needs assessment today