Young people are reporting higher rates of mental health problems than ever before.
When teens face challenges with their mental health, who do they often turn to first? Their friends.
Friends often become the cornerstone of support during teen years. While this is part of typical development, mental health problems can require help beyond what teens can offer. No one wants to get a friend “in trouble” or to betray their confidence, knowing when a parent or other adult needs to step in is critical.
In addition, helping friends who are struggling can quickly become an emotional and time-consuming endeavour, at any age. Learning how to set and maintain healthy, yet compassionate, boundaries is crucial to maintaining our own mental wellness. It also ensures we are able to offer the best support we can to those we care about. Learning skills to maintain healthy boundaries in adolescence will have long lasting effects into adulthood.
Help them strike a balance and maintain their own mental wellness with this interactive session.
- Current climate of mental health in young Canadians
- Factors that can contribute to mental health problems
- Why stigma keeps young people from reaching out for help
- What are healthy boundaries and how to set and enforce them
- What self-care really is and why it's crucial before, during, and after supporting a friend's mental health
Take-Away Strategies & Tools:
- Strategies to regulate their own emotions before they attempt to support a friend
- How to listen non-judgmentally
- How to know it's time to bring in a parent or other trusted adult
- Action plan to safeguard their own mental and emotional wellbeing during stressful times
- Further resources for times when additional support is needed
- This session has been developed for youth audiences (13+)
- For combining age groups, it's recommended to not have more than two sequential grade levels in a session together. Content and delivery will be tailored to the age group(s) in attendance
- Standard length is 60-75 minutes and includes skill-development activities, breakout groups, and time for Q&A
- This session is available for virtual or for in-person delivery
- Client will be responsible for speaker travel costs, plus a per diem over and above the speaker fee
- Need additional tailoring of content, or a fully customized session? We're here for you. Book a free needs assessment today so we can uncover exactly what you need and how we can help
Want this talk for your group or conference, and ...
Want to save the speaker fee?
Ask us about including Mental Health First Aid as a pre- and/or post- to your event
We can't wait to work with your group!
get started by scheduling a free needs assessment today