Depression is a serious concern and is rising among our youth populations, especially after the pandemic..
While bouts of depression are expected and can affect anyone, at any stage of life, it can sometimes be easy to miss in youth. This is because behavioural issues and moodiness are so commonly expected as part of the growing pains of adolescence.
So, as trusted adults in their lives. when should you worry? This talk gives participants the necessary overview of what depression is, the signs and symptoms of depression in youth, and how exactly you can step in to support them - even when they don't reach out for your help.
- What are the red and yellow flags that a tween or teen is struggling
- How can depression can be masked by other behavioural symptoms
- What is behind the growing level of depression in youth
- What exactly does depression look and feel like for a teen
- What they need from you specifically to recover and create healthy futures
Take-Away Strategies & Tools:
- Strategies to get tweens and teens to open up even about difficult topics
- The critical basics of non-judgmental listening
- How to quell your own worry or panic about their wellbeing so you can be present with them
- When and how to seek professional care (even for reluctant teens)
- How to navigate social stigma around depression
- This talk has been developed for audiences of adults who work with youth
- Standard length is 45 minutes. It can be booked on its own or added as a special focus to Mental Health 101 - Supporting Youth
- This session is available for virtual or for in-person delivery
- Client will be responsible for speaker travel costs, plus a per diem over and above the speaker fee
- Need additional tailoring of content, or a fully customized session? We're here for you. Book a free needs assessment today so we can uncover exactly what you need and how we can help
Want this talk for your group or conference, and ...
Want to save the speaker fee?
Ask us about including Mental Health First Aid as a pre- and/or post- to your event
We can't wait to work with your group!
get started by scheduling a free needs assessment today